Monday, January 23, 2006

Things that are on my mind...


I really do not like to talk about politics, but seeing how I am out of the situation and have no say in the matter (ie I can not vote) I think I will comment.
I have been following the election that is coming up.
For those American bloggers who dabble in reading this, Canada is about to elect there new "President" We call him a Prime Minister.
The election happening tomorrow,or rather later today. I wish I could vote.
We already know who's going to win, the Liberals have been in office for 13 years and Canada is ready for a change. I like change but it comes with a cost.
All polls indicate Canadians are ready for change, disgusted by the broken promises and corruption scandals of the Liberal Party and willing to give Conservative leader Stephen Harper the benefit of doubt, despite fears he's too extreme in his views opposing abortion and gay marriage.

See Canada to me is a beautiful place. They allow a women the choice to choose about abortion.
Before I get nasty emails (please do not waste your time) I believe a women should have the choice. Its not something I could chose for myself but I have been there with friends who have made the choice. I think its up to the person to decide and who are we to judge those decisions?
If Harper/The Conservative party take the reins he has made it very clear that he opposes abortion and gay marriage.
I was so proud to read that Canada was the 3rd country in the world to begin the process to legalize gay marriage.
Again who are we to judge. And I speak of this on a personal note. I have and will always have a diverse group of friends.
June 28th 2005
OTTAWA (CP) - It was fought in courtrooms, in legislatures, in street protests, and one of the most turbulent debates in Canadian history was settled Tuesday in Parliament.

The House of Commons voted 158 to 133 to adopt controversial legislation that will make Canada the third country in the world to legalize same-sex marriage. Several Liberals marked the occasion by invoking the memory of their party's anointed philosopher king, Pierre Trudeau.

When I first read this it gave me goose bumps. It also made me proud to be Canadian. I think it is about time that society accepts and welcomes the difference in humans in the ever evolving world. Nothing can stay the same forever. And for a country to make a change this big will forever change how society views Gays and Lesbians. It is no longer "wrong" or "taboo" to be in a same sex partnership.

Canadians can rejoice that we will make a difference not only in Canada but also in the world.
I hope that change is good.
I hope that Canadians will always stand up for what we believe.
I hope.

1 comment:

coffeygirlb said...

Hey girl, thanks for the comment. Isn't that exciting. You can also jump up and down and say "I know who took that guys virginity" haha, sorry. Great post about Canada. I pretty much agree with you for the most part. Keep checking my blog cause it's getting ready to have a major makeover. And you have been linked. Peace.

 
This Template was custom created by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010