Saturday, June 03, 2006

The weirdest thing

I was debating on putting this all out there but it was an experience I wanted to share.
So yesterday I had a doctors appointment that the "lawyer" had set up for me. (of course she tells me on Wed and expects me to be ok with it) But that's another story.
So I am there and waiting then its time to see the Dr. He walks into the office with this little flimsy file folder and starts to ask.
"So what are you here for today?"
"Listen DUMB ASS you should know by now why I am here I have been seeing you for over a YEAR" (I certainly needed to bite my tongue not to say that but it was pretty close)
Then he makes me explain the accident, what happened where it hurts (which in my opinion is stupid and he's an ass because lets face it not too many people should have to explain everything they see the doctor what the problem is. I mean you ARE a spine surgeon what was your first clue dumb ass?)
Anyways to make a long story short
THEY LOST MY FILE!! Serious they whole thing. And its one big ass file.
So bascially I sat there only have to return home to FAX (yes you understand that right) I was asked to fax my medical evaluations (I am no dumb girl when it comes to this STUPID medical system and I keep VERY good records)
So I am asked to fax some of my records so we can move forward.
AAAGGG!!

Moving on.

So after my little freak out I am moved along to get meds. They have been supplying me with Vicodin for the last year.
If you have been following this thing you know about 4 months ago I stopped cold turkey. And you may wonder why I keep getting Vicodin even though I am not using it?
I may need it someday, maybe not for me but.... Ok lets move on
So I take my bottle of FREE EXTRA STRENGTH VICODIN and stuff it into my purse.

I then proceed to Wal-mart where I need to have another prescription filed (for my migraines) and while waiting for that I peruse the isles.

Then I hear a lady on her cell phone crying in a whisper.

I keep a clear distance and pretends to shop in the isle away from her. I can not see what she looks like I can only hear the worry in her voice.

She is on the phone trying to be quiet and whispering the her husband through sobs "But baby since you lost your job and the insurance lapsed they need $142 to give me a 2 week supply of the Vicodin, I am in so much pain I can barley move and I can not even go to the hospital because that will take away from work....."

I missed some of it but she is obviously in pain and very distraught.

So I walk over to her isle, she is a frail lady her right hand contorted in a way that I assumed she had maybe had a stoke or something she was leaning over her cart wincing in pain?

"I am so sorry and I did not mean to be eavesdropping on your conversation and I know you were trying to whisper but.. I just happen to have this bottle of Vicodin in my purse (I show her the label and the dose (EXTRA STRENGHT)

She stares at me in shock

"Oh my goodness, if you have it you probably need it more than I do"

"No not really they give it to me at the clinic and seeing how I refuse to take it anymore you are welcome to it"

I try to force her to take the whole bottle.
She refuses.
I offer 1/2
She breaks out in a HUGE sob and jumps into my arms with the biggest hug ever whispering in my ear "You have no IDEA what this means to me"
I again try to give her the whole bottle and again she refuses I empty 3/4 of it into her purse and put the rest away.

" I do not need to know, as I believe we have all been there at some time in our life"

she's sobbing in my arms.

I smile and wave and tell her I was glad to help.

I walk away and just as I reach the end of the isle I turn around as I had just made up my mind that I without cart could move quicker than her and I was going to just drop the bottle into her cart and run.

She was gone.

I could not find her any where. I walked up and down all the isles and even stood out front of the story to find her.

Where did she go?
What are the chances that at that moment I would "over hear" her in distress?
What are the chances that I have a FULL bottle of vicodin in my purse?
What are the chances that she was gone? Just disappeared?


I cried when I got home, I was so frustrated at the situation!!
HOW DO WE IN AMERICA THINK ITS OK FOR PEOPLE TO SUFFER!! TO NOT HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO PAY SO YOU JUST NEED TO SUFFER?
HOW IS THIS OK??

6 comments:

T-girl said...

I have had this happen to me. Not with drugs, lol, but similar type things. When i first moved to Panama I got lost and this guy just came out of no where told me to follow him, got me out of the worst part of town and before I could say thanks... he disappeared. I mean like poof gone! I think we are thrown into people all the time that need us or we need them you just have to read the signs! I am glad you could help her, I would have been a bit freaked myself. Just goes to prove there is some force out there that is just beyond our comprehension!

Kelli said...

That has to be reason 457 why I think you are so fabulous.

That was really really nice of you Random..

KB said...

Good for you. I horde a supply of drugs as well. Even though I don't take all that crap now I store it up and I've given away plenty for that very reason.

It is so sad that we can spend trillions on war but we can't supply our folks here at home with a health care system that can meet the needs of so many that can't get the medicines they need. Whew, that was a run-on sentence!!!

astrocoz said...

This is what I kinda have a problem with.

A.) Doctors who give out prescriptions like Vicodin to people who won't even use them.

B.) Doctors who withhold prescriptions like Vicodin for people who are truly in so much pain that they need it.

Its either one extreme or the other. My grandmother gets Vicodin and doesn't ever use it, but her daughters use it all the time...they don't need it, but they don't see anything wrong with taking Momma's pills.

It pisses me off so much, because my aunts do nothing all day and we know its because of the pills. Literally, they get their social security and welfare and they just sit on their asses all day and take Vicodin.

When Momma runs out of her pills, they (the daughters) call our house, begging my mom to pick up a refill of the prescription, when it hasn't even been a month yet. They are supposed to get a new supply every month. They call the house like druggies, constantly. They act depressed and the only time the seem to be happy is when they are on Vicodin.

Do you think they could take a bus to get their prescription? No, they can't walk to the bus stop that is less than a block from their house. Because when they don't have the Vicodin, they are withdrawling hard and they are totally able bodied.

If grandma's doctor had stopping handing over the Vicodin a long time ago and if grandma told him she didn't need it, we wouldn't have this problem. But according to my mom, the doctor just gives her the prescription without asking her if she really needs it.

Its so stupid. Because of this, I never horde my drugs and if I am done with a heavy prescription like that, I dispose of it properly. I will never give someone else the drugs prescribed to me, because I see the after effects every time I see grandma and my aunts, which is about weekly.

I'm not saying the person you helped was like that, I'm just saying be careful about what you do with your bottle of Vicodin. It sounds like she really was in pain and it was really nice of you...but I don't know if I would have done the same.

Random Musings said...

TRUST ME
all those thoughts went through my head too.
What if shes abusing it? What if? What if?
She refused them at first.
She never asked for it
There was no way she could have known I was over hearing her
There is no way she would know even if she heard me over hearing her that I had them.
That I would give them to her
She would not take the whole bottle
And a million other WHAT IFS?
Oh and I do take them just not all the time only when I NEED them.

But I understand your concern and yes your grandma should not be giving them to your aunt.
Want to hear something else to piss you off about the doctors? I told him they were not working for the pain they were just making my head fuzzy, you know what he did ? Gave me a stronger Vicodin.
Figures thats why I stopped taking them. I may again depending on the pain but for right now I only NEED them about 1 time a week.
Thanks for the thoughts

Battlerocker said...

I feel for you. If I had had the day you had, I have no idea how I would have handled it. I hope a course correction is near at hand, because I don't think we can keep going this way much longer.

 
This Template was custom created by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010