Monday, October 02, 2006

I know people...lol


I know I have mentioned it before, So about a year ago day 2 after Hurricane Katrina I am sitting (I was off work because of my injury) crying in front of the TV.
How could this happen?
Look at all those people?
My heart hurt and the hubby being ever whimsical in his advice said "well stop crying about it do something about it"
So I did I got up @ 7am and went down to The American Red Cross. I get there and everyone is piling in, people who have never met, people who just need to be doing something.
With my call center expertise and the phones ringing off the hook we made a make shift center to answer questions and sort of went about it as we went.

Then they asked me if I would go?
"Go to New Orleans?"
"Yes, they need people in the field out there, we are trying to send as many people as we can"
"Where do I sign?"

So I went home that night and brought the forms to fill out with me, I told the hubby what I was doing. He was a little in shock at first but he was excited for me to go, surprised that I would go on my own not knowing anyone else.
Then he told me that he would take his vacation time and come with me, he too feeling the need to do something. (thank goodness I think ahead and bring back 2 packs of forms)

Anyways, we went and we saw a lot of stuff that I would have never imagined. It was so emotional and mentally draining that the first night there I think we both feel asleep with our shoes on. But what it did do was teach us a lot about, "us" and ourselves, it pushed our own limits to the max.
I have a lot of good things to say and quite a bit of bad, a tragedy like that brings out the best and worst in people…

Anywho.. where I was going with all this (sorry I am a little emotional lately) we met some really great people when we there and we forged a bond with people that we met.
Its hard to go through something like that, to be part of something so big and not create that bond.

Some of the people we met that we call friends we got together with this weekend. There is something to be said about great friends that through a few emails during the year and then pick up where you left off. We drank had a BBQ in the Hollywood hills (serious I have the pictures to prove it) and it was a GREAT time.

Not that I like to "drop names" but here is what some of them do.

Senior Producer MGM Studios
Senior Producer MGM Studios
Senior Executive Public Relations Warnerbros Studios.
Executive Tours Fox Networks
Executive Public Relations Fox Networks

Anyways so Friday we (the hubby and I) have been invited to an executive tour of the Fox studios, we'll get to see the set of Standoff, CSI and a bunch of other Fox shows. Oh and the guy who is doing the tour is the one who gave me the shoes!! THE SWEET SHOES! See he also gets to take care of the sets and explained that they usually buy the shoes about 5 of the same pairs all different sizes and then once they have been on the show they get ride of them… (I swear I would date this man just for the shoes)
So lucky for me there were these FABULOUS shoes that I had to comment on.. turns out they did not fit his girl friend so he told me to take them
He made me PROMISE I would wear them (ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?)

Pictures to come.. I have to load all the camera stuff to my computer…. then its all going to change...

5 comments:

shann. said...

and special arangements were made for when I'm down there????

Sandy said...

Wow, that sounds like an interesting evening...I hope you get to post some pictures.

GERBEN said...

Oh wow! that sounds so interesting! I can't wait to see pics!

T-girl said...

WHAT? I hate you! And all you did was volunteer to help some people who lost their homes in a freak disaster? How come I never get anything like this? I am a RedCross volunteer! Damn them! LMAO

Mummy said...

Thats really amazing of you to just up and go and do something, really DO something for those who needed you. I'm really moved by you doing that Random, you are a really good soul, ya know?! now im blushing at laying out the compliments thickly. The excellent shoes and tour etc are karma paying you back for yr goodness... yay!!

 
This Template was custom created by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010