Sunday, November 25, 2007

Angel Tree

Today was a great day.. Me and Jess went to the mall out in Fort Collins, well it was not really planned I needed to pick up my prescription from the pharmacy and I have to drive 40 minutes to get there.. long story about that one, you assume ALL Targets have a pharmacy in them EXCEPT FOR THE COWBOY TOWN I LIVE IN!!!
Its was a nice day we dilly dallied around, and the mall had an Angel tree so we each picked 2 kids (an Angel tree is where under privileged kids with parents on welfare are able to get gifts. You pick a name and it has their age and clothing size and what they wish for Christmas, you then go and pick out the gifts and bring them back unwrapped so the can verify the "appropriateness" of the gifts and they wrap them and get them to the kids families on Christmas eve)
So I have a little boy names Odden and a girl named Kataya and they both want clothes, Kataya wants a baby doll, and Odden wants trucks and balls

I have done this many years before and its a good thing to do. I always try to envision the family I am buying for and how much courage it must take to ask for help to ensure your children even though they do not have much at least have something at Christmas. I was surprised at how organized this one was, taking names and phone numbers and promising to follow up with you if they have not received your gift by Dec 19th so that they can be certain EVERY child gets a gift.
I picked 2, 4 year olds because at that age they are just starting to understand Christmas and what it means and what its about. I remember as kids that my mom and my whole family used to do this together, we would always go to the mall, everyone would pick an Angel off the tree then we would go out and buy our gifts. It was my mother's way of making us know that we should be thankful for everything we had. She also a few years made us work at the food kitchen and we as a family used to sign up through the Salvation Army and we would pick out a turkey with all the fixings and on Christmas eve we would deliver it ourselves to the family in need. We always asked if we could purchase gifts for the children (we used our own allowance) and my mom and dad would buy sweaters for every family member.
As crazy as I think my mom is some times these are lessons I will take with me and refer back to the rest of my life...... And you all know how much I LOVE to shop!!!

6 comments:

Southern (in)Sanity said...

I do this each year as well. No matter what causes the parents to put the family in that situation, no child should have to do without on Christmas.

AM said...

Angel trees are always fun. Our church has one and we'll probably pick a name this Sunday.

Distant Timbers Echo said...

That was dang nice of you to do that! Interesting how so many don't... it's like Mother Theresa said once, "If you can't feed the world, feed only one."

Nice to see you over at my place, but you'll have to come back! You brightened it up and now it's dull again!

Magnolia Sun said...

What a wonderful thing to do, you have just inspired me thank you. I'll have to check around my area.

? said...

I am in awe of your generosity, Random. You are a good egg.

Rotten eggs like me use Christmas as an excuse to chug spiked eggnog and touch Santa inappropriately.

Random Musings said...

Rwa- I totally agree... I also think it takes A LOT for a parent who has nothing to ask for help

AM- YEAH!!! When I told one of the girls I work with who has a 4 year old what I was doing and why.. she said she was going to take her kids to teach them the same lesson

Redneck-Yeah I stopped in its been awhile, I am not sure who I linked through to get there again...
I will add you to links when I get a minute

Magnolia- Its the smallest things in life.

Bottleblinde- Oh I am not always good.. I also use this holiday to dress inappropriatley at the staff Christmas party and get drunk and regret it in the morning

 
This Template was custom created by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010