Tuesday, March 11, 2008

As if it could not get worse!!! And reason 16789568 I should never have children


I just rushed Daisy to the Doggie ER... I had a SNOTTY, SOBBING CRY in front of about 13 people. 5 being vet people, the other 8 were people waiting patiently with their pets for their scheduled appointments. IT.WAS.MESSY.

Last night I was having a REALLY hard time sleeping, so I started fumbling through my medication drawer (from my accident) to find those GLORIOUS sleeping pills that had been prescribed to me and could knock out a 300 pound man. Yeah those ones.
Anyways in my quest for sleep at 4:23am this morning I dropped some on the floor, I immediately spring to action and turn on the lights and started scouring under the bed (Daisys favorite hiding spot) and found all of them, much to the amusement of the hubby who is shouting from bed "What are you doing?"

"I dropped some pills I do not want Daisy to get them"

"Babe, do you remember how hard it was to get her to take her own medication, shes sure as hell not going to eat one of yours"

I found 2, took one turned out the lights and went to bed.

End of story. So I thought.

Well about an hour ago Daisy walks into the living room while I am scouring the net for a job and she looks like a drunken sailor. I pick her up, run to the bedroom where she had been to find she vomited in the bed like 5 times. I frantically call the husband and tell him I am off to the vet.
Daisy even fought getting into the car and SHE LOVES THE CAR, as we are driving she is still heaving and spitting out this white froth, this scares me to DEATH and much I love yous and crying ensues, I get to the Vet and tell them my dog swallowed my sleeping pills, through the snot and tears **much to the shock and dirty looks from the other "obviously"; more responsible pet owners***
They rush her in, take my prescription bottle and Daisy and then 2 vets come back out without my dog. I think I am immediately going to be carted off to Doggie prison when they begin to explain that the medication "she may or may not have swallowed" is something they routinely give to dogs suffering from depression. The side effects for an overdose are unknown but being that it could have been 1-2 people strength pills that would not hurt her that bad. THAT BAD what does that mean?? They said they are going to keep her for observations in the doggie ICU and that I could call @4pm to see if I can pick her up (to arrange for the doggie prison to pick me up)
They told me not to worry because the last 2 times she has been to this SAME vet in 6 months it was due to vomitting. She said this could be an underlying problem with her just having a REALLY weak stomach. They went over the whole "What do you feed her" and tell me that she can
a) NEVER have human food again.
b) No longer eat the wet dog food Little Cesare s because of all the sugar and additives.
c) No more begging strips HER FAVORITE! and the only treat she will eat

Now I do not know about you and your dogs, but Daisy is S.P.O.I.L.E.D. but the vet in no uncertain terms has not so "directly" said "You are making your dog sick" and that BREAKS my heart so I am sticking to the rules (with exception to NEVER have human food because she said plain chicken and rice is ok, oh and the begging strips just not as many....)

***Edit*** she is home safe and sound. They still will never "know" for sure if she swallowed a pill or not seeing how after some antibiotics and blood work and some anti nausea shes fine. Back to her old self. Just goes to show I would be A MESS without her****

6 comments:

Vi said...

oh poor doggy!!!! And being put on a diet as well! Madness that even DOG food can be bad for her!

Random Musings said...

Vi- Thanks.. yeah its pretty scary about the dog food, we think its because of the sausage she had last night... We will never know for sure

whimsical brainpan said...

Oh hon, I'm so sorry you and Daisy had to go through that. I'm glad she's better.

Magnolia Sun said...

I'm so glad she's ok, I know that must have been so scary. I would have been the same way.

Patty said...

I think you would do great with kids. After all Miss Daisy has taken the practice out of the formula for any future siblings of hers.

I am glad you both survived the trauma of the unknown and are doing well. Next time have the hubby reach for the pills. If he dumps them at least you will have someone else to blaim.

Anonymous said...

holy shite man. glad it all worked out. I would have been devastated for you.


short girl hugs your way.

 
This Template was custom created by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010