Friday, December 14, 2007

Washington DC


Yes those are my feet stretched out over all 3 seats. Needless to say the flight there was AWESOME.. Actually I was 2 rows away from first class and there was this lady who's baby WAS SCREAMING ITS FACE OFF, and the mom was sitting there reading a magazine like it was nothing.....until the flight attendant from first class came over and because of all the complaints in first class asked her to move to the back of the plane. Do you think I could sleep seeing how I worked till 11pm them came home to back and because it was snowing (another LONG story) I did not even sleep before I have to be up @ 2am to drive to the airport.

We took the subway to the Cemetery and when I first walked in I actually cried. It was so over whelming that as far as the eye can see were tombs where American Soldiers had given their lives for this country. The history and presence in this place was unbelievable! So overwhelming to see tombs from every world war. Every person laid to rest here has served their country, although not even being an American I was busting with pride.

We arrived just in time to see the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldiers. If you ever get a chance to see this, to experience this I would HIGHLY recommend it.



This was Kennedy and Jackie's graves. I was surprised to learn that they had a child that died 2 days after birth who was also laid to rest here.



The Lincoln Memorial
The Vietnam memorial.

The World War II Memorial, I had such a blond moment all day Friday all the flags were at half mast and I could not figure it out. While finally I asked this police officer in front of the white house who told me it was Pearl Harbor day... I felt so silly.


Another thing I would recommend if you ever make it to Washington DC, I cried here too....

And the HIGHLY overrate White house



The white house tree (this ones for you Patty) It was also cool to learn about the yule log that they also had burning behind the tree. It was HUGE!



AND WE GOT TO SEE THE PRESIDENT!! Not that I am a fan or anything, it was just a cool once in a lifetime opportunity





Well we saw his entourage of all his cars... he was in there somewhere!!!







Oh and this is my poor car under 5 feet of snow when I got home after 2 days....

3 comments:

kiwigirl said...

I love seeing photos of DC -- makes me so happy I live here!

xx k

Southern (in)Sanity said...

Great pictures. I haven't been in a long time, and I want to go back.

Patty said...

Don't feel bad about not knowing about Pearl Harbor or the Kennedy baby. Not only were you not born when both events occured, you are Canadian and did not have the events crammed into your brain every year of school like the rest of us.

Thanks for the pictures.

 
This Template was custom created by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010