Friday, December 25, 2009

Counting our blessings this Christmas morning...

We woke up to a fire this morning.


At 5am Christmas morning our fire alarms were BLAZING, in the panic of what was going on the minute I heard the fire alarm I could smell the fire.

I shook the husband and we jumped into action, the lights were still out when I got into the hall and saw the flames the fire was coming from the heating unit.

We quickly turned on the lights, switched the breaker and took down the filters (that were about to go up in flames but only had a little burning on them) I had also instinctively closed the bedroom door to make sure Daisy was safe only to notice that I had done it after...

We both wandered around a bit in panic about what to do next. We did not want to call the fire dept because the fire was out. And it was 5am Christmas morning.

We called building management and left a message on the emergency machine about the fire and got a call right back....

At the request of the building management we called the non-emergency fire dept number and they came... lights and sirens BLARING at 5am on Christmas morning with 2 fire trucks FULL of firefighters.

They came in to access the damage and make sure the fire was out. They used infrared to make sure there was no fire still in the ceiling (who knew) I am not going to lie I was scared out of my wits. They said fire can be a scary beast.

Also that our smoke detector was worth its weight in gold.

We had already aired the house out pretty good, but the smell of burning was pretty thick, after everything had settled I had a very good cry.

Yep the hubby and I sat on the couch and I cried. I cried and I was so THANKFUL that it happened the way it did.

I was so thankful our smoke alarm works.

I felt so blessed we were both home.

I was so thankful that it happened so quick and we both reacted as quickly as we did.







We are blessed and so thankful this Christmas in more ways than I could ever explain.

15 comments:

Allison said...

Whoa. I'm very glad you are okay.

Sandy said...

OH MY...I am so glad you all are okay. That is so scary. I'm sure the stress and relief is worth a good cry.

ally said...

I am glad that you still called the fire dept. Yay for the fire alarm! I'm glad you and your family are okay.

chalica pack said...

That is so scary! Oh my goodness. Thank GOODNESS your smoke alarms have working batteries!

Crazy Shenanigans said...

Oh my! I'm so glad that you both are ok and that everything is alright!!!

Swampgirl said...

What a Christmas blessing! This is a good reminder for me to check our smoke detectors!!!!So glad you are all OK!!

secret agent woman said...

I had a similar moment of intense gratitude when my heat pump shut itself down after the circuit boards burned out. It felt like I'd had a disaster averted. So glad your smoke detector did its job!

"M" said...

OMG that is so scary...I'm happy to read you are OK!

Steph said...

Good god I'm glad you are ok and didn't lose anything.

Steph said...

Good god I'm glad you are ok and didn't lose anything.

GERBEN said...

OMG! I am soooo glad to hear that you all are OK. ((hug))

GERBEN said...

OMG! I am soooo glad to hear that you all are OK. ((hug))

Sara said...

Did they say what started it?

I'm so sorry. It sounds like you have a great perspective though. I would have hesitated to call the fire department also, but I think I also would have been concerned it wasn't all out, too. Thank goodness nothing was damaged!!! And girl, you did some things I'm not sure I would have thought of! Being so far away from my apartment for so long, I am super concerned about this very thing.

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

helllllo sexy firemen! glad you're okay!

Abbie said...

Oh my gosh! How awful and scary! But thank heavens you're okay!

 
This Template was custom created by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010